The cherry on top’: it’s a common phrase we’ve all heard before. The phrase is used to refer to something which is the last crowning piece; that little something extra that goes above and beyond what we may have expected.
Chocolate cherries are just that. They’re the cherry on top of many scrumptious desserts.
And they are so delightfully good!
Cherries – they pack a punch!
These tiny red fruits may seem unassuming, but they’re packed with a host of health benefits. Often hailed as a ‘superfruit’, here are some of the benefits cherries boast:
- They battle insomnia and help you sleep – cherries contain melatonin that can help regulate heart rhythms as well as your body’s sleep cycles.
- They are packed with antioxidants and anthocyanin’s which can help reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer
- Cherries have often been referred to as “brain food”. They aide in brain health and in the prevention of memory loss, and have been said to reduce the chances of Alzheimer’s.
- Cherries are rich in vitamins C, E, potassium, magnesium, and iron
- They reduce the risk of diabetes
- They are a good source of fiber which is beneficial for good digestion
- They reduce belly fat
- Anthocyanin’s present in cherries can reduce inflammation and the symptoms of arthritis and gout.
- Due to their anti-inflammatory properties, cherries are great after a workout to reduce soreness and pain
- They can combat hypertension and reduce the risk of strokes
Cloak Cherries in Chocolate
It’s safe to say that most things which taste absolutely delicious stand the chance of becoming downright phenomenal with the addition of chocolate. The same holds true for cherries.
Ripe cherries are often dried and pitted, then coated with layers of milk or dark chocolate.
For a chocolate and cherry treat with a little extra punch, there are chocolate covered cherries with liqueur as well. The cherries are soaked with liqueur and then sealed inside layers of chocolate.
When you bite into this treat, the hard chocolate shell cracks and gives way to a delicious liqueur and cherry infused liquid; the crown jewel of the dessert is the cherry hidden within. All the complex flavors complement each other so well with smooth chocolate mixed with strong accents of liqueur and sweet and tangy cherries.
Chocolate has been mixed with berries to bring together two flavors which are contrasting and yet work so well together. Chocolate cherries are an incredible combination of tangy and sweet elements and provide an ideal little treat if you’re looking for a chocolate berry blast! So go ahead and grab a handful of chocolate covered cherries and pop them in your mouth. You’re going to have a hard time controlling how much of these awesome chocolates you eat. We guarantee it.