9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup alkalized cocoa powder
1 cup whole milk
7 large egg yolks
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup cream of coconut, such as Coco Lopez (stir well before measuring)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Make semifreddo: Spray a 91/4" x 51/4" x 23/4" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line pan with a large piece of plastic wrap, letting it extend over long sides of pan.
2. Place chocolate and cocoa powder in bowl of food processor and process until chocolate is finely chopped, about 10 seconds. Leave chocolate in bowl of processor.
3. In a medium saucepan, bring milk to a gentle boil. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl (mixture will be very thick). Whisk about 1/2 cup of hot milk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a flat-edged wooden spatula until mixture has thickened slightly. Do not boil. It is done when you can run your finger down back of coated spatula and a path remains in mixture for several seconds.
4. Remove pan from heat and immediately pour mixture into bowl of food processor with chocolate in it. Process until chocolate is completely melted, about 30 seconds. Transfer to medium bowl which is set in larger bowl 1/3 full of ice water. Stir chocolate mixture until slightly chilled, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
5. In bowl of electric mixer, using whisk attachment, beat heavy cream at high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold 1/3 of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining cream. Scrape mixture into prepared pan, smoothing it into an even layer (the mixture should fill pan completely). Freeze for at least 6 hours (after 2 hours, cover top of semifreddo with plastic wrap).
6. Make coconut cream: In bowl of electric mixer, using whisk attachment, beat heavy cream, cream of coconut and vanilla extract at high speed until stiff peaks form.
7. To serve, cut 1/2" (or slightly thicker) slice and place on plate. Spoon a dollop of coconut cream alongside it and serve immediately.
Next Article: Caramel Flan with Cocoa Nibs