White chocolate whipped cream:
1 ounce white chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bittersweet chocolate souffles:
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, such as Land O’Lakes
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup warm water
5 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 pint peppermint ice cream
Make the white chocolate whipped cream:
1. Melt the white chocolate according to the directions in the Chocolate Key on page 65. Let cool until just barely tepid.
2. In a chilled medium bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer set at medium speed, beat the cream with the vanilla just until soft mounds begin to form. Stir a few tablespoons of the cream into the white chocolate to lighten it. On low speed, beat the white chocolate into the whipped cream and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make the soufflés:
3. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425°F. Butter and sugar six 6-ounce individual soufflé molds and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. In a medium saucepan melt the chocolate and butter over low heat. Set aside to cool.
5. In the 41/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the wire whip attachment, beat the egg yolks and warm water at high speed until doubled in volume. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate mixture.
6. In the 41/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer with the wire whip attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar at medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture is glossy.
7. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the chocolate mixture into the egg white mixture in 3 additions. Do not over mix.
8. Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared dishes. Place in the oven and bake 13 to 15 minutes, until puffed.
Serve the souffles:
9. Immediately upon removing the soufflés from the oven, drop a scoop of peppermint ice cream into the center of each souffle and cover the resulting hole with a dollop of white chocolate whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Next Article: Chocolate Brioche Puddings