1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup granulated sugar
5 large egg yolks
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup (11/2 ounces) cacao nibs
1 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter
6 waffle bowls
2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Prepare Ice Cream: In saucepan, bring milk, cream and sugar to a boil.
2. In bowl, whisk yolks until combined. Whisk 1/3 of the boiling liquid into yolks. Return remaining liquid to a boil then whisk yolk mixture into liquid. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
3. Strain through a sieve into a bowl containing cocoa powder and chopped chocolate. Let stand for a few minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool over an ice bath, stirring occasionally. When mixture reaches room temperature, stir in vanilla extract. Cover and chill in refrigerator overnight or until cold.
4. Make ice cream: Process mixture in ice cream machine. When freezing is complete, transfer ice cream to freezerproof container. Stir cacao nibs into ice cream. Then stir peanut butter into ice cream and freeze until firm.
5. Assembly: Melt chocolate according to Chocolate Key on page 49. Dip the top of waffle bowls into melted chocolate, tap off excess and place right side up on wax paper until dry.
6. Serve ice cream in waffle bowls garnished with chocolate shavings.
Next Article: Coconut Ice Cream