1 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted and cooled
1 cup superfine granulated sugar, divided
2 cups heavy cream, chilled
3 teaspoons instant espresso powder, dissolved in 3 teaspoons hot water and cooled
6 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Butter a 10" springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
2. In bowl of a food processor, grind slivered almonds and 3/4 cup sugar together, pulsing carefully to avoid blending into a paste.
3. In bowl of electric mixer, using whisk attachment, whip chilled cream and espresso mixture until soft peaks form. Transfer to refrigerator.
4. In a clean, dry bowl, whip egg whites at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Add vanilla extract and remaining 1/4 cup sugar and whip at high speed until glossy and stiff peaks form.
5. Fold whipped cream into meringue, then fold in ground nut mixture.
6. Transfer semifreddo batter into springform pan. Smooth top. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
7. To serve, use a large, hot knife to slice semifreddo into wedges.
This recipe developed by Kim Steckler
Next Article: Cranberry White Chocolate Cheesecake