4 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/4 cup hot brewed espresso
1 cup all-purpose flour
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup Kahlua, or other coffee-flavored liqueur
Pinch of salt
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1 cup heavy cream
Milk chocolate whipped ganache:
6 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
Sugar soaking syrup:
1/4 cup hot brewed espresso
1/3 cup Kahlua
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, grated
Chocolate dipped cigarette cookies
Make the sponge cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 101/2-inch x 151/2-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper, cut to fit. Lightly spray the parchment paper and sides of the pan with vegetable spray.
2. In a 41/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the wire whisk attachment, beat the 4 yolks, 1/3 cup of sugar, and espresso until thick, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. In a large clean bowl, using an electric hand mixer or a wire whisk, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar. Continue whisking until whites are thick, glossy, and stiff.
4. Using the wire whisk from the heavy-duty electric mixer, carefully fold 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture to lighten. Then fold in the rest of the whites. Sift the flour on top and gently fold in. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and invert onto a wire rack, peeling off the parchment paper. Using a cookie or biscuit cutter, cut the sponge cake into 2-inch circles (4 circles per serving). Reserve.
Make the mascarpone mousse:
5. Place a small amount of water in a large bowl and throw in a handful of ice; reserve. Place the egg yolks, sugar, Kahlua and salt into a medium bowl and set the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat on medium high speed until the mixture is thick and holds a ribbon. The mixture must be cooked until it reaches 140°F and then held at that temperature for 3 minutes. The whole cooking time will be approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Take the mixture off the heat and cool completely over the ice bath, whisking occasionally.
6. In a large bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer, whip together the mascarpone and heavy cream until the mixture holds peaks. Fold the cooled yolk mixture into the mascarpone cream mixture to combine and then refrigerate.
Make the milk chocolate whipped ganache:
7. Place the chopped chocolate into a medium bowl. Place the heavy cream into a pan and bring just to a boil. Immediately remove it from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Add salt and espresso powder and whisk gently until the chocolate is melted. Cover and refrigerate. When the mixture is completely cold, just before assembling the parfaits, using a hand-held electric mixer, whip until soft peaks form.
Make the sugar soaking syrup:
8. Combine the espresso, Kahlua, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan. Heat all ingredients until the sugar is dissolved; cool and reserve.
Assemble the parfaits:
9. Place the mascarpone mousse and milk chocolate ganache into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip. Pipe about a tablespoon of mascarpone mousse into the bottom of the parfait glasses.
10. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of shaved unsweetened chocolate on top of the mousse.
11. Dunk a sponge cake circle in the soaking syrup and lay on top of the mousse.
12. Pipe about 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk chocolate ganache onto the sponge cake circle, sprinkle with another teaspoon of shaved chocolate and top with another soaked sponge cake circle. Repeat layering with mascarpone, chocolate, cake, whipping ganache, chocolate, and cake. Top the parfait with a thin layer of mascarpone mousse and a generous sprinkle of chocolate. Cover with film wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with a chocolate dipped “cigarette cookie”
Mistral, 223 Columbus Ave., Boston, MA 02116; 617-867-9300.
Next Article: Vanilla Hazelnut Cheesecake