3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup chopped walnuts
Walnut ice cream:
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup half-and-half
5 whole vanilla beans, split
5 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup caramelized walnuts (see recipe below)
4 black plums, pitted and quartered
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup goat milk
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons corn syrup
1/4 cup heavy cream
Caramel nut cookies:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Make caramelized walnuts: Lightly oil large baking sheet. In small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook without stirring for 4-6 minutes, or until syrup caramelizes. Immediately remove pan from heat.
2. Quickly stir walnuts into hot caramel. Pour walnut mixture onto baking sheet and cool for 30 minutes, or until hard.
3. Coarsely chop praline on cutting board using large knife. Place in food processor fitted with cutting blade. Process until finely chopped. Reserve.
4. Make walnut ice cream: Place cream, half-and-half and vanilla beans in saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil; turn off heat and cover. Meanwhile, using wire whisk, combine yolks and sugar in large bowl. Whisk small amount of hot cream mixture into yolks; pour back into saucepan. Return to heat and cook over low heat, stirring until mixture coats back of spoon. Strain through fine sieve and chill over ice bath or in refrigerator. Process in ice cream maker following manufacturer’s instructions. Stir caramelized walnuts into finished product and freeze.
5. Make roasted plums: Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss plums, brown sugar and orange juice in small baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until plums release their juices and become tender. Let cool.
6. Prepare cajeta: In small bowl, combine goat milk with cornstarch and baking soda. Set aside. Place sugar, water and corn syrup in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until dark, honey-colored caramel. Remove from heat and add cream. Return to heat to remelt caramel. Add goat milk mixture to caramel mixture and bring to boil. Strain through fine sieve and cool.
7. Make caramel nut cookies: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line 8" square cake pan with parchment paper.
8. In bowl of electric mixer, using paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed until well blended, about 1 minute. Add flour at low speed, mixing just until combined. Press into prepared pan and bake until golden, 8-10 minutes. Cool.
9. Make cookie filling: Reduce oven temperature to 300°F. In medium bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, vanilla and walnuts until blended. Pour onto baked crust. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and set. Cool completely and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
10. Assemble desserts: Place 3 small scoops of ice cream in each of 4 ice-cold sundae glasses. Arrange plums and some of their juices along sides of each glass. Drizzle with cajeta and garnish with nut cookies. Serve immediately.
Goodfellow’s, 40 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN, 55402; 612-332-4800.
Next Article: Ginger Beer Floats with Coconut-Lime Ice Cream